In the last article https://knowingayurveda.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/taking-care-of-our-gift-wrapping-skin/ we saw a bit about ayurvedic application in day-to-day life for health skin. Here is something about our skin in context of our health, diet, kitchen and lifestyle.
Muddy water is never glittering and shiny. Similarly, if we are not healthy or have many toxins stored in our body- our skin cannot be lustrous, glowing, smooth and pure on the outside. General health conditions (other than the skin disorders) that might stand in the way of you and the healthy skin are- Constipation, Hyperacidity, Hormonal imbalances, Nutritional deficiencies, improper circulation, high pitta disorders, etc. Therefore, if you are suffering from any of minor or major health problems, resolving them will automatically give you improved skin.
Unhealthy habits affecting the skin are- sleeplessness, eating during odd hours, eating opposite foods, smoking, alcohol consumption, using lot of cosmetics, exposure to pollutants, lack of hygiene, etc
This image speaks for itself when we talk about the effect of bad habits on our skin. There is simply no work-around or solution to these unhealthy habits except quitting them
Last but not the least we are what we eat. Here’s the list of few useful eating habits-
- Drink lots of water and fluids (Warm spring water is the elixir for health)
- Eat all the locally available seasonal fruits (at least one fruit/day). The reason being- they provide all the micronutrients that are good for skin and help in detoxifying our bodies. While fruits such as strawberries, avocados, apricots are favoured as best skin foods- it is just that the other fruits are not given a chance. All fruits work wonders on your skin so just give them a chance!
- Avoid the food that clog your digestive system and thus clog your skin- fast foods, soft drinks, packaged foods that are full of artificial preservatives. The same old mantra! However, there is just no other master key to health.
- Chose correct food combinations! Many times two healthy foods, which are incompatible with each other, can become a cause of serious disorder or health problems.
- Milk and cream is incompatible with – Banana, fish, meat, curd, sour fruits, vegetables, eggs
- Vegetables such as potato, tomato, eggplants, and onions are incompatible with –yogurt, milk, melons, and Cucumber.
- Yogurt is incompatible with – sour fruits, hot drinks, fish, meat, mangoes, cheese, onions, cucumbers, tomatoes
- Lemon is incompatible with – Yogurt, milk, cucumber, and tomatoes
- Tea and Garlic
- Alcohol with fruits and vegetables
- Green tea and milk
Opposite incompatible foods is a completely different elaborate science. Above given are just few examples. If you want your own personalized diet plan-, mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org
What all we eat can also be applied!
Kitchen stuff that is good for skin
- Cleansers and Moisturizers- Milk, Curd, Honey, coconut milk, almond milk, rose water
- Exfoliators- Raw Sugar, Rock salt, Oat meal powder, peanut powder
- Masks and packs- all fruits, tomatoes, potatoes, turmeric, chickpea, saffron, cucumber, green tea in the form of paste
- Toners- green tea, cucumber juice, lemon juice in the form of ice cubes
I can actually go on and on and write a book about skin and skin care!
“Skin is the reflection of our mind, body and soul- that’s why babies have such perfect skin. So stay simple and happy babies forever”